I got the call today. You know the one. It's daycare, your child has fallen down on the playground and needs to be taken to the doctor. Now.
Gulp.
So there I was, in town centre with my never-decreasing shopping list of things for the new house, burdened down with paint/fitted sheets/shower caddys/BBQ supplies, when I had to throw everything on the bike and rush back home before I could head out AGAIN to daycare, then to the.....doctor's office? Or will we then need to go to the hospital?
In which case, not only do I need to re-load the bike with my house keys and his helmet, but also with our insurance papers, passports, snacks, drinks, Tylenol (cause when you're in pain, you just can't wait), spare diapers, and cuddly duck for comfort. Ok, first thing's first, call the Dr and tell her we're coming in. Done. Call Daddy and give him a heads-up that he may need to leave work early to join us. Done. Oh yeah, make a 2-second stop in the bathroom now, because you may not get a chance later. Done.
My legs got a great workout getting to daycare in record time, then with equally impressive speed to the Dr's office. Little Cub was a real trooper throughout it all, telling me how he hurt his face and his cheek was red (that would be the blood). Of course, he couldn't tell me HOW it happened; he's chosen to leave this part as a mystery. The extent of anyone's knowledge is that he was in the sandbox, and now his cheek has a gash below the eye.
The Dr looked at the wound, dabbed it with water, put on a Band-Aid/plaster, gave him a plastic animal, and sent us on our way.
That was it. All that drama ..... for a Band-Aid / plaster. Much Ado About Nothing, indeed. Nothing that a little ice cream on the way back couldn't fix. And believe me, I spared no expense on that. Not only did I let him eat the ice cream while still standing on the gas station forecourt, but I even made it easier by getting a coffee stirrer to be used as a spoon. Never let it be said that I skimp on spoiling my child.
Oh, by the way, I dumped him back at daycare and came back home to keep striking things off today's To Do list. In the immortal words of president Jed Bartlett ..... What's next? (those of you who never watched The West Wing to understand that quote, you are truly missing out on one of Life's great treasures)
****Footnote**** I'll give the daycare credit for calling me, even for a nothing result. The gash is just the right size to make you wonder, Does this need stitching, or just a Band-Aid / plaster? I'm not sure I could have made that judgment myself, so they were right to call me.
1 comment:
I can't imagine the last-minute trips to the doctor's office ahead of us with boys. I can see it now: "...I wonder what would happen if I jumped off the roof...?"
Post a Comment