When I was young, Grandma White Dove had a system for housecleaning that never varied (or so it seemed, to my youthful mind). Each Saturday, she would write out a list of all the chores that needed to be done, and we sat down together choosing who would do what. If there were 10 things to do, I had to choose 3 or 4 of them (GWD always got to determine the number, never me ....I can't imagine why). I had the freedom to decide my own chores, so never had to get stuck doing the same thing week after week, but I had to take as many as she said, and most importantly, I wasn't allowed to go out and play with friends until they were finished. No questions.
You could have been fooled into thinking I was the most colossally stupid child on the planet, because each and every week I would flop around the house, moaning and complaining because I wanted to go out and play. 'You can play, just as soon as you finish your chores' was always the reply. And I knew that was true, but somehow couldn't get past it. I would waste away HOURS of a gorgeous sunny Saturday, and then be upset at losing so much play time. I even remember one time a friend coming over and watching me scrub the bathroom, just because I hadn't gotten motivated fast enough. I hated it. She sat there on the toilet, smacking her gum and chatting away while I was up to my elbows in Dow scrubbing bubbles. I hated it even more because it was all my fault.
So, do you suppose I've learned the error of my ways and corrected this monumental character flaw? Nope! I have two days a week where Little Cub is in daycare and I can accomplish all my 'things' (housekeeping, errands, gym workouts, etc) and then have some quality Me Time. I always start out with such great intentions, really wanting to put in a full day's hard work from sunrise to sunset.....and then I remember I need to pay a bill, and while I'm online I might as well update this blog, and then by that time I'm hungry so have a bite to eat and then I can't go for a run on a full stomach so I need to wait at least another two hours before that and there's no point showering and getting pretty to do errands now if I'm just going to go for a run later and I could stop and fold the laundry but I really need to get another load started so I might as well do that and then I'll take my dirty dishes to the kitchen and start the dishwasher and oops I forgot I needed to call the bank and then I need to call Daddy Big Chief to tell him what the bank said and then someone has replied to an earlier email so I really need to respond to that ...... Aaarrrgggghhhh!!!!! Next thing I know, it's 3:30 in the afternoon and I still have nearly a full list of things to do, but now only two hours to do it in.
WHEN WILL I EVER LEARN?!?!?!?!?!?!
As the wise old saying goes, a leopard will never change its spots. Apparently, neither will I.
2 comments:
Your day sounds like a typical day at our house. It's sad when you wake up and say, "okay, I can either shower or eat." I always choose eating.
Don't you hate that!??!?! My days off are either more productive than the last 2 weeks combined, or I have NOTHING to show for an entire child-free day. Nothing in between. At least on this particular day off, you ran a load of laundry and updated your blog. Oh...AND called the bank! Hey - it's SOMEthing, right?
Post a Comment