Tuesday, 12 August 2008

On My Dove Soapbox

Unless you have closed your eyes and ears through every single commercial/advert break on every single TV channel for the past few years, you'll have seen evidence of a fantastic campaign by Dove. They've taken our sick, twisted, unhealthy mindset on physical 'beauty' and given it a big slap in the face. Have a look at their website to see what amazing and inspirational things Dove is doing for women/girls of all ages, shapes, and sizes. This moves beyond meer propaganda, and although I'm generally the skeptic of the group when it comes to believing what is promoted by media, I'm so passionate about this, I try to buy Dove products whenever possible. THAT'S how much I believe in what they're doing.

Apparently, the Chinese government chooses not to ascribe to this philosophy. Have a look at this appalling story, and tell me it's not laying groundwork for some serious self-worth issues for BOTH of these beautiful young girls. Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry at all the 1.whatever billion Chinese citizens, and I'm also not going to do anything stupid like boycott Cashew Chicken and think I'm making a mature political stand (i.e. getting peeved with France for not agreeing with a particular OPINION of mine, and re-naming food 'Freedom Fries' and 'Liberty Toast' --- gag!).

But I am angry at this specific event. Angry enough to breathe fire, to spit nails, to .... to .... well, at least to blog about it.

No comments: