Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Proud to be an American

While watching the coverage of the election tonight (it's nearly midnight to me, so I'll have to wait until I wake up to find out the results) I had little moments of American Pride, and I just wanted to share them with you. Please forgive the sweeping generalizations I'm about to make, but I think most of you will at least get where I'm coming from, if not agree with me.

I'm proud that we're taking as much interest in a world event of this magnitude that it deserves.

I'm proud that we're ready to have either the first black president or the first female vice president.

I'm proud that we seem to be making a brave choice one way or another.

I'm proud that we're finally educating ourselves on the issues at hand and are able to hold informed discussions on the topic.

And most of all, I'm proud we're getting off our (stereotypically) cheeseburger-eating, TV-watching, Coke-guzzling backsides to stand for hours on end and make our voices heard in unprecedented numbers.

Even though there will be those amongst us who don't get their desired result, I wish you all a very Happy Election Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to say the results are not as I wanted. It's the first election that spurred me to do my own research and form my own opinion. I had loved ones and people I deeply admire and respect on either side of the ballot. Like others, I felt passionate about my choice. I cried at the results. I hope the majority of Americans simply did better research than I did and I hope to be proven wrong in the long-run. God Bless America!