Tuesday, 15 December 2009

The Spare

I had my '20 weeks ultrasound' today (that's half-way, for those of you not totally caught up on your Pregnancy World jargon) and it seems all is good. I say 'it seems' because even though I told the technician my Dutch wasn't very good, she chose to ignore that comment and blabber non-stop for the 10-15 minutes of the ultrasound, all in Dutch medical lingo. No joke, I think I caught about 1/70th of what she said. Every few minutes I could hear a random word I recognized (leg, kidney, brain, intestine, etc) but the rest of the time I just threw in the occasional 'Alles is goed?' and was happy when she replied with a 'Ja'. I figured if the answer to 'Everything is good?' was 'Yes' then the details didn't really matter.

As luck would have it, we'd kept Little Cub home from school today anyway, so he got to come with me and 'watch the baby movie'. How sweet, right?

Too bad he didn't give a damn. He was much more interested in playing with his toys.

Although, to be fair, when you're accustomed to movies meaning 'The Jungle Book' and 'Monsters Inc', I can't really blame him for being less than thrilled at seeing something like this.











(that's supposed to be a leg, by the way)

Anyway, for those of you wanting to know the flavor ahead of time, sorry to disappoint, but once again we've chosen not to know. So until roughly the end of April, all references will have to be to 'it' or as I like, 'The Spare.'*

Here are a few slightly more obvious pictures to enjoy.






























(I just realized that second picture might not be as obvious as I thought .... it's a foot)

*'The Spare' is a reference to the royal practice of having 'An Heir and a Spare' to ensure the king's bloodline would continue. You know, if the firstborn (the heir) were to be unable to take over the throne, there would be a second-in-line (the spare) as a backup. You might think I'm horrible for using this name, but I think it's funny. And hey, it's gotta be better than what I called Little Cub when in utero .... The Parasite. (which personally, I found really funny as well, but apparently some others see that as cold-hearted. what can I say? I'm on sick mama)

4 comments:

chandy said...

How exciting!
I kind of wanted to be surprised with my second, but my husband talked me into finding out. I think that would be fun though!

The Spare is a perfect nickname! Ethan's nickname was Leon (a random reference to the movie Airplane...)

"Intentionally Katie" said...

NOOOOOOOOO! I forgot you don't find out the gender. TORTURE!!!

Aunt Naughty said...

I thought "the spare" meant "spare tire" - like around your middle - because that's where he/she is and you're sick like that. But, "the spare" as in "the heir and the spare" is way more positive and really cute. I love it.

So, Prince or Princess?? Cant wait! :)

Froggymama said...

Yay, I'm just so happy for you. Looks like a girl to me! I'm always 50% right. :)