Monday, 17 June 2013

Dear H&M

Dear H&M,

You suck.

Although you have some adorable clothes at reasonable prices, while I was in your store today (spending some hard-earned money on said adorable clothes), you made me feel fatter than I am. And yes, I admit, I'm fairly squishy around the middle right now. But I'm working to rectify that, and you were a great big killjoy to that process.

You see, I'm not what you would call 'petite'. Never have been, never will be. I'm okay with that. At 5'8" and not-exactly-small-boned, I'm a big girl. Facts is facts, right? But neither am I plus-sized. Ok, I may be closer to that now than I was in college, but I'm not quite there. I may have just barely pushed up into one size bigger than in my college days, but those days were also 15 years and 2 children ago AND LIKE I SAID, I'M WORKING ON IT, so maybe you could give me just the teensiest bit of a break?

Because when I was in your store today, I couldn't find a size L or XL to save my life. Everything was a M, S, or (God help us), and XS. In your 'regular' section of the store, all the labels showed the size range XS-XL, yet only those first three sizes seemed to be on the racks. To be fair, I did find a few L's and XL's, but they were massively under-represented, and I had to dig to find them.

Where did I find them? In the plus-size section. WTF?!?! For some reason, you have decided to make the big huge signs in your store say that the plus-size section starts at numerical sizes that are 1-2 sizes bigger then what I currently wear, BUT THEN the labels on the clothes went L-3XL. Excuse me? How can your sizes L and XL belong in both the regular and plus-size sections of your store, but then really only be found in the plus-size, of which I can't wear the numerical size you say for that section because they're too big for me?!

You're hurting my brain, not to mention my self-image. Either I'm plus-sized or I'm not, but don't toy with me on this!

Sincerely,
Confused, Cranky, and (moderately) Corpulent

PS - I will forgive you a teeny bit because I managed to find some cute things to fill a few holes in my summer wardrobe, and one of them was even labelled a M. But still, overall, you suck.

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

WHAT?!?!? Come on H&M. When I see only S and XS sizes on the racks, I blame the fact that they didn't order enough larger sizes. But in the PLUS SECTION?!?!? Whatev.