Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Funny, senseless Life

Every now and then, we're reminded that Life doesn't always make sense. Usually this wisdom reveals itself in the form of some tragedy (death, natural disaster, etc), but there are other, more light-hearted appearances, if you keep your eyes open for them. I've found one example recently ... in the lyrics of a Dutch kids' song.

I've tried to find good online links to hear this being sung, but all I could find was little tykes on YouTube, and let's face it, those are really only precious to the parents who put them on there (and you can't understand them anyway). So I'm afraid you'll just have to read my English translation, and get a good laugh out of imagining the clearly incapacitated person who created this in the first place!

In the moonlight, I walk upstairs and look out the window
(it starts fairly normal)
And you don't know, no you don't know
(WHAT don't I know?)
The birds do this, and the fish do this
(flap your arms, then put your hands together and mime swimming...naturally)
And the centipede polishing his shoes does this
(o-kaaaaaaay)
And that is one, and that is two
(count your fingers, just to make sure)
And that is fat, fat, fat Aunt Kay
(Holy &%$£, how big IS this woman?)
And that is straight, and that is bent
(a reference to sexual preferences? nope, just your arm)
And we keep turning the wheel, boom boom!
(hey man, whatever you say)

Scary though it is to admit, Little Cub and I actually love this song, and sing it all throughout the day. I wonder who that says more about, me or him?

2 comments:

Froggymama said...

That is just about the nuttiest song I've ever heard, or read. I love your commentary by the way.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Hilarious...I wonder what traditional American nursery rhymes we're used to that must seem odd to outsiders?
"Rocka-bye Baby in the treetop (Who would put a baby in a tree? Are there hungry wolves nearby?)
When the wind blows the cradle will rock (duh!)
When the bow breaks, the cradle will fall (there's a falling baby?!?!)
And down will come baby cradle and all." (is it okay? Should we call 911???)