Wednesday, 17 October 2007

Know Thyself

Riding on the incredible 'success' of last time, I took another art class in Dutch yesterday. It was based on a book/theory/method called 'Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain'. Knowing how strongly left-brained I am, I thought this would be good for me on two levels. One, I get to practice my Dutch, and two, I can branch out a bit and exercise parts of my brain that generally lie dormant. I wanted to flourish, prosper, expand my horizons and walk out of it a new person (and fully bi-lingual, of course).

What I actually came to learn was this ....... I'm left-brained. That's me. That's who I am. It's what I do. Why am I trying to run away from it, rather than holding my head up high and saying 'Yes, I'm analytical, practical, and proud if it!'? Maybe it's a matter of priorities as well. Art isn't important enough to me to go through the pain of 'brain-expanding'. Dance, I would do it for. Writing? Yeah, probably that, too. Art? No thanks.

There wasn't nearly so much Dutch lesson as I expected because there were three Dutch women there (they didn't need lessons in the language), and one other English woman who was basically fluent anyway. So I more lost in the all-full-speed-Dutch-all-day than I was hoping for. I also found myself getting incredibly frustrated at my (lack of) drawing ability. Ok, I came away with a couple decent examples, but to be honest, when nobody was looking (shhhhh!) I cheated just a little bit. I didn't care at that point. To heck with integrity, I was looking to keep my sanity.

Interestingly enough, I learned that for all my left-brainedness (yeah, it's a word in my world!), the type of art I'm more interested in doing seems to me to be more right-brained. I like blending and blurring colors together to make landscapes, not sitting to draw a perfect hand or flower with a pencil. Chalk is more my medium, not lead. Maybe it's because I think a hand should really look exactly like a hand, or like a painting. Nothing in the middle. Maybe that's where my left-brainedness comes it. I want things perfectly in one extreme or another, not wandering aimlessly around somewhere in the middle.

So here I am, sitting comfortably back in my analytical, practical self. I may have failed in the intended process of yesterday, but I did walk away with knowledge I didn't have before. I'm left-brained, I'm proud of it, and I'm not going to apologize for it anymore. So there.

******************************************************************************

I didn't quite get a chance to finish shading in the background...I was too busy cheating on the fruit picture.















Yup, this is the one I cheated on. A bit more tracing than was meant to happen...which wasn't ANY tracing....meaning I cheated a lot.








Daddy Big Chief was really impressed with the hand picture, but I think it looks like a claw with a sausage for a pinky. Hmmmm, 'horses for courses' and all that, huh?

3 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

LOL!!! I can't stop laughing! Here goes...
1. You and I truly differ...I LOVE pencil and hate chalk. Chalk ruins the oh-so-perfectness of the sketch.
2. If you're not careful, you're going to inspire me to take an art class.
3. How do you CHEAT in art? You drew it, didn't you?!?!?
4. (still laughing...) This is a PG-13 blog, right? Mike thought your pinkie looked like a penis and is convinced that that's what you meant by "sausage." I thought your penis/sausage hand picture was really good. Truly. Then I read your comment on it. And now I can't stop laughing...I can barely see the screen through the tears...

The DutchMac Tribe said...

I PROMISE I meant the questionable-breakfast-meat version of the word 'sausage'. Tell your husband to get his dirty mind out of the gutter and back into your bedroom where it belongs. :-)

Froggymama said...

I love that you cheated in an art class. I guess I don't feel so bad for cheating in 12th grade chemistry. I mean come on, does anyone really know what a mol is?