Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Mistakes are great!

Learning a new language is such a fantastic opportunity to laugh at yourself. Honestly, how often do you make MASSIVE mistakes, and walk away from them with tears of LAUGHTER streaming down your face? If your answer was 'not very often' then you should really consider taking up a new language.

Want to know my two best Dutch blunders? (these don't include when I talk about people being on a bus/plane/etc and I say that they are literally SITTING ON THE TOP OF a bus or plane .... I make this mistake on an hourly basis) Here goes:

1. What did I tell the homeowners of our previous house was broken? Was it the kitchen faucet/taps?
Nope. Our kitchen NEWSPAPER was broken.

2. How did I 'unlight' some candles? Did I blow them out?
Nope. I BARKED them out.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Please feel free to send me any of your language faux pax's. I'm already on a roll here and in the laughing mood.

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

That is hilarious. Sitting on and sitting on TOP OF are different?

When we went to Mexico a few years ago, I asked a local what time it was by asking "Que tiempo hace?" which is one of the first phrases you learn in Spanish. I was mixing it up with "Que hora es?" I asked it again and again and again, seeing that this guy had a watch on. He kept saying, "I don't know" again and again in Spanish, finally looking at me like I was high.

Later that night, I realized I was asking him the temperature, not the time. That's what my teacher gets for teaching us too many phrases on the same day!!!