Monday, 30 March 2009

Opinions

Why is it that when you have kids, opinions seem to crawl out of the woodwork, from every conceivable crevice? Suddenly everyone in the world has thoughts and opinions as to how you could be doing your new job better. What's worse than all others thinking they have better opinions than you, is the fact that you tend to believe that, too. You start wondering if you really are the stupidest person on Earth, because clearly everyone else has it all figured out, and you're fumbling along messing up your kids in a thousand different ways from sunrise to sunset. So then you seek out advice from 'experts' and when you hear the same advice multiple times, your intelligent, rational, and logical side buys into that advice, convinced it must be right.

And still it bites you in the ass.

Those of you who have seen us in action know we are NOT pushover parents. We agree with the bizillion experts who say to ignore kids when they throw tantrums because the attention is what the kid wants, and they will 'quickly' learn that tantrums are pointless when they don't get them what they want. Having been born with a severe Patience Deficit, I cannot tolerate tantrums in any way, shape, or form. When LC starts whining or screaming, I'm outta there. Physically, mentally, emotionally, all of it. He gets nothing from me when he throws a fit. I honestly couldn't care less how much kicking, screaming, wailing, crying, and self-mutilation he does. If it's a tantrum, I'm not interested. The bizillion experts would be so proud.

Too bad none of them have never met our Little Cub.

I've mentioned before the sheer Hell that is dropping him off at pre-school three times a week (read the last third of this post for a refresher). Well, that's not inproved any. And tonight, when we were at dinner, we very calmly and respectfully informed him of a new change in rules that we will be implementing in the house. Because he's getting to be very big and smart now and can understand a lot more things than he could when he was a baby, he will now need to try at least a small bite of everything that's placed in front of him before he's allowed to leave the table. We know it's hard when rules change, and it can be a little scary at first, but he's really growing up to be so smart and strong, we know he can be a big enough boy to handle this.

His reaction can be summed up as follows: Mom, Dad, are you out of your frickin' minds?!

What he objected to tonight were two of his (usually) favorite things, chicken and pineapple. Tonight's twist was that it had Chinese sweet-and-sour sauce on them. The plain rice was fine. The food tinged with a hint of Death Sauce was not. I won't bore you with all the details, but we ended up with a child falling asleep and nearly off his chair FORTY-FIVE MINUTES LATER because he refused to do it. Big Chief and I had very much gotten on with the business of the rest of our eating, but there was no way LC was going to what we asked/insisted. He'd rather fall asleep at the table. Yes, we eventually got the two bites down him, so there was at least no horrible defeat on our part. But a three-year-old who chooses to fall asleep upright after being verbally-confined to his chair for nearly an hour simply because he's asked to eat something he likes anyway ......... we are in SO much trouble.

So to all you out there who look at other parents' kids and know you can (and do) raise yours better, do me a favor and shut up, even in your mind. I have been the person who looked at a mom in the mall thinking 'She should not be breeding' and I have also been the mom in the mall who other people have looked at and thought the same. None of us are above contempt on this matter, but we need to learn to get our opinions out of our system. There are times they don't amount to the proverbial hill of beans, and let's be honest .... we're probably failing our kids just as much as the person we're judging.

And if any of you are formulating ideas on how to tell me exactly how you know you can break LC of his iron will, you can also shut up (and I mean that in the most loving way possible). I'll listen to your wisdom after you've been his foster parent for three months and have lived with his stubborness yourself. Then we'll talk.

4 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

How is it possible for two human beings to breed a MULE? My gosh, girl, the stories about his will just keep getting more and more difficult.

The bright side is this: he will not be a compliant pushover of an adult and MAYBE he'll be this stubborn in his teen years to resist the horrible drama and temptations that other teens face. "You want me to smoke what? Oh, I don't think so..." I can see it now!

Froggymama said...

Okay, can I just say that we went to a b-day party on Saturday. All the other kids were behaving themselves.

Froggy was naked, jumping in their fountain, chasing lizards, streaking the neighborhood and we got "THE LOOK" you know the look from parents who have 'good kids', while our hellion is livin' it up, splashing the other kids, acting like a total maniac!

And at the end of the party, I'm completely exhausted and feeling judged big time. But the thing is, this is Froggy. And no matter what, she will always strip down, splash other kids and streak the neighborhood. That's her. And the "Good Parents" will judge, but they've never been blessed with a freak, a froggy, a crazy toddler like my girl. And as coo-koo as she is, and as judged as I'm sure we are, she is spirited and interesting, and she will make an impression, an indent in the world, and those boring, well-behaved kids won't. So three cheers for our little rebelious monkeys!

The DutchMac Tribe said...

Katie, did you just call me a MULE? And a breeding one at that?! What am I, sent out into the pasture to be serviced by a four-legged stud then stuck in a barn to pop out my offspring on a pile of hay?

Ohhhhhhh wait. You mean like my kid is 'Stubborn as ....' Got it. ;-)

Auntie Ginni said...

I know you dont want any opinions but mine, of course, is the one that matters (right?) so here it is... YOU'RE DOING GREAT and I'm proud of you guys.