Ask most seven-year-old boys what their interest in Harry Potter is, and you'll most likely come up with things like this:
 |
| Quidditch practice, of course |
Not so my little bookworm.
As I wrote less than a month ago, he's now truly reading Harry Potter. And when I say reading, I mean
reading. We're talking, huddled up against his nightlight for two hours after bedtime each night to squeeze in as many pages as possible, choosing to forgo playing out on the streets with the neighborhood kids to curl up on the sofa on a sunny day, even skipping breakfast because he wants to start reading the instant he wakes up. Skipping food.......MY son!
Now, before you go thinking I'm one of 'those moms', I absolutely do NOT force this. But at the same time, I know how he goes feast-and-famine with things, so while his current obsession is reading, I just don't have the heart to refuse him. And there is
some balance, like the warm day when a friend of his showed up spontaneously and we had an afternoon of them doing this...
 |
| ...and this.... |
 |
| ....and this. |
Which was great, because it meant outdoor-obsessed Kitty Kat got to do this.
Still, if given his choice, he would keep his nose buried in the books. (no joke, he whined initially when his friend came over to play in the water because he knew that meant he wouldn't be able to read) It's even gotten to the point that we've had to use the threat of taking away his books as a form of punishment. What the crap kind of seven-year-old feels punished if a
book gets taken away?! Geek. But hey, like I said, we're not complaining.
Anyway, we promised him that when he finished the first four books, he could finally watch the fourth movie. So here we are 1,427 pages later (I kid you not), and the momentous day has arrived....Mr T watched
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this afternoon. Hooray for our bookworm!!! To mark the occasion, I made him a special cake. Now, I'm not
at all claiming that it's good (because let's be honest, it LOOKS like I only spent the 15 minutes hacking together the pieces --- which I did) but Mr T was able to instantly recognize that I made a Harry Potter, a TriWizard Cup, and the dragon/golden egg, lake, and hedge maze that represented the three tasks. That was all I needed for approval! Ok, so I stole the smallest dragon from his toys, but still. If I ever feel the need to make another cake (not likely) I may spend more than a commercial break on the effort.
Maybe.
 |
| Kitty Kat was pretty thrilled he finished, too, so she could enjoy the fruits of his labor |
But who cares?! My boy is addicted to READING and we are over the moon about
it! And we know it won't last forever, so while it does, I'm going to
raise a glass of Cherry Coke to the gods of literature and make a chocolate-covered sacrifice in their honor. Thank you for bringing a love of the written word to our son....for as long as it endures!
No comments:
Post a Comment