No really, I mean it. They do so many wonderful things, really include the students in all aspects of their school lives, the teachers get so involved with everything, and above all, everybody really seems to make a priority out of having fun with school life.
Like I said, I love it.
Just yesterday they held a 'Sponsored Run' day to raise money for digital 'chalkboards' to go in the new annex building being constructed (which Mr T's class will be in next year). Instead of doing a traditional bake sale / raffle ticket / carnival type thing where the parents end up doing all the work and donating all the money themselves anyway, the kids found people to sponsor them for a fun run/walk around the school grounds. The little ones (Mr T included) ran laps around the playground, and for the older children, they blocked off the road behind the school and had the kids run laps of that.....complete with the headmaster/principal standing in the middle of the street with a megaphone announcing things like 'And here comes Silvio and Floris from group 5, back for another amazing lap! Come on, boys, I've seen you run faster to avoid recycling duty....put some muscle into it!'
See what I mean about really cool?!
We had a funny scene at the dinner table the night before, though. Mr T was
Daddy: Tomorrow, you get to run with your friends and earn lots of money!
Mr T: Yeah, and I'm going to run extra super duper fast so that I can more and more money......and then I can buy lots more Star Wars Lego!
Daddy: Um, no buddy. The money is for the school to buy a digiboard for the new classroom.
Mr T: What? You mean I do all the running, but the school gets all the money?!
Daddy: Yep
Mr T: (pauses, thinking) But it's for the new building for Group 3 classes, right?
Daddy: Yes
Mr T: And I'll be in Group 3 next year.
Daddy: That's right
Mr T: So it's my classroom that will be the super-coolest because we'll have the new digiboard that the other classes won't, is that right?
Daddy: You got it.
Mr T: Woo hoo!
Ah, yes. Those proud parenting moments where your kid makes it perfectly clear he's willing to work hard for a noble cause....so long as he personally gets some benefit from it
Oh well, he had an absolute blast on the day, and Big Chief and I were both lucky enough to get to go watch it. I don't think Mr T realized that it wasn't a race to be faster than everyone else, and that it didn't even matter how many laps he did, because all the sponsorship money we got was flat-rate rather than per lap. This kid hauled arse the whole way around (evident by his impossibly-red face), and let it be known by everyone within hearshot (and some beyond) that not only did he finish all 25 laps before anyone else (impossible to judge in all that chaos, by the way), but that he did extra laps that he didn't even have to, just because he had so much time left.
If he weren't so damned adorable, you'd want to slap his smug little face.
Lucky for him, he's exactly that damned adorable.
| 'Watch out, dudes, I'm gonna kick some hiney!' |
| Fresh fruit for snacks afterwards....NOT sugar-laden crap! |
![]() |
| Kitty Kat was having her own fun destroying things... |
| ....until she got bored and decided it was time to go. |
| Typical man, bragging to anyone he can find |
![]() |
| Awwww.....there's my competitive little man! |



1 comment:
I think you might have a new running partner!
Post a Comment